A brand is the perception of the company in the eyes of the world.
By definition, branding is the marketing practice of creating a name, symbol, or design that identifies and differentiates a product from other products.
As Jeff Bezos says: “A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person. You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well.”
How branding came to be?
Branding was once a simple and trustworthy tool for companies to precisely identify one product from another. This tool was changing over the years.
Right from the start, branding was all about making your mark to become noticed. This discipline and art form has developed over the years to become a necessary part of building a successful business.
- The beginnings of branding are in the early years of the 16th century. The word brandr means “to burn” in Ancient Norse, a Scandanavian language. Originally, a brand was a burning piece of wood and later described a torch and it was meant to show ownership.
- The 18th and 19th century is the era of trademarks. Words, phrases, figures, symbols, designs, shapes, patterns, and colors legally registered or verified by use as representing a company or product. Some of the first iconic companies such as Coca-Cola, Colgate, Ford Motor Company, Chanel, LEGO…are considered brand-builders and trend-setters, and became leading brands around the world.
- 20th century or the birth of modern branding. The era of thinking big, loud, and highly visible. Billboards, subway signs, product packaging, loud architecture, TV commercials, which were enhanced with the creation of color TV in 1953. During the era, brands made their mark through newspapers and magazines. Print provided a space where brands could use words, logos, and illustrations to differentiate themselves. Advertisements were often very informational and described exactly how products worked and what they could do.
- Nowadays we have a lot more brand options than we used to, and someone is always being chased by a competitor. We have the technology to help make a brand stand out and buyers make decisions based on product ratings. More than ever, these are times where reputation is everything. It is all about telling a story about your products or services through digital art. The 21st century is the era of social media. We use it to talk about brands, to like them, share them, endorse them, choose between them.
The historical development contributed to the improvement of the branding form. While modernization and technology will always drive the future of branding, many of those early origins of branding will always stay the same.
The importance of branding
As the boundaries between the digital world and our physical world come together, it is as important as ever to be able to differentiate yourself against competitors, both on and offline.
The foundation of your brand is your logo. Your website, packaging, and promotional materials should integrate your logo and communicate your brand.
No matter your industry, no matter your product, these techniques will serve your brand:
- Know who you are!
- Get a great logo.
- Build your brand on emotion.
- Always tell the truth.
- Create lasting desirability.
- Create a “voice” for your business that follows your brand.
- Be consistent.
- Evolve with customers.
- Stay simple.
Your brand identity is what makes you recognizable to your customers. Your audience will compare your brand identity with your products or services, and that identity is what forms the connection between you and them, builds customer loyalty, and determines how your customers will perceive your brand.
When done right, your brand will spread quicker than a virus!
Every brand has a different message and brand identity. Let us help you build and spread yours! Check out our solutions and drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org